Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Names

Have you ever named a new dog after some of the first words that run through your mind when you first meet them?  I did that a few days ago and I regret it now.

Rich had taken Dolly outside and I went out shortly afterward. I'd no sooner got out the door when I looked up just in time to see this massive pit bull / boxer mix dog standing 50 feet away staring at me. The dog was so big he looked like a small deer.  The first thought was "Good God I hope that thing is friendly!" I was about ready to go back in the house a lot faster than I'd came out  when I thought "Where's Rich and where's Dolly?

I got my answer on my second look at that dog. Dolly was standing underneath that dog with her tail at half mast,  her little grin on her face, looking up at that dog with her "I love you" look.  I calmed down quite a bit because Dolly is an excellent judge of other dogs character.  Dogs that she does not like get a very cold, penetrating glare that sometimes send much larger dogs running away in fear.  It really pisses her off when a big dog runs away from her. She'll go into a barking frenzy and try to chase them. If she sees them even a month later she will start barking at them. In the world according to Dolly any dog that runs away from her HAS to be up to no good.

I immediately named the new dog "Thing". partly because of the first thing I thought when I saw him and partly because I am not sure of what breed he is. 

"Thing" fell in love with me within 10 seconds of seeing me and from 50 feet away. When he ran up to me his bob-tail was going so fast I thought it was going to fly off. He greeted me like I was a long lost master who had just returned from several years absence. He is such a huge dog I was afraid he was going to knock me down. I had to tell him NO and he immediately obeyed. I was soon to see that he was neutered. He's the second dog I have seen with that odd neutering method of completely removing the scrotum. 

"Thing" is too much dog for me at my age. When I was younger and if he were a stray I'd happily take him in. he's not a stray. I'm positive he belongs to someone here in Mokane. I need to find out his real name. I feel a bit bad about naming him "Thing" because he's a good dog. Whenever I tell him NO he acts as if his heart is broken. He also cheerfully answers to that name.

As soon as "Thing" realizes I'm outside he comes to visit. He wants to be as close as possible to me and enjoys sitting on my foot. There is only one problem with this dog. "Thing" in spite of his great size appears to think he is a Dachshund. A miniature Dachshund at that.  He wants to be a lap dog and be in my lap full time.  The only problem with him is that when Dolly wants a little attention from me "Thing" gets jealous. We are going to have to work on that.  Dolly loves her attention but only in small bits. I think "Thing" if allowed would be in my lap 100%of the time.

I prefer Dolly's method of receiving attention in short intense sessions. Once she's had her fill she's off to do her job of protecting the place and won't be back for quite awhile. My only concern about "Thing" is that he is so big he may knock me down.

1 comment:

  1. I was tired and sleepy when I wrote this. I hope I did not bore anyone with it. I felt compelled to write tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Followers