Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 14, 2013

I am a Spoiled Owner

Yes I confess that I have become a spoiled owner. I have willingly and cheerfully allowed it to happen. I have become spoiled by a very intelligent and sweet dog who goes about her life in such a way that I have to laugh at her.

It's mainly her intelligence that has me spoiled. The latest thing that happened along these lines is that I had come in from outside and Dolly had delayed coming in. I usually come in before the evening traffic picks up otherwise I have to put her on the leash. Instead of going directly to my recliner I started doing something at the kitchen sink.

I'd no sooner came in than Dolly barked to be let in the front door. She charged to the living room where she was perplexed because I was not in my spot. Her perplexed or questioning look is easy to see. Her ears will be on alert, she might sniff the air, and she always looks at one of her humans with a look that says "I don't understand, or what's going on here?"  In this case she was looking at Gretchen with a look that said "Where is he??"

We all have gotten to where we talk to Dolly like she is a human member of our family and we do it without even thinking about it. When Dolly was looking for me Gretchen said to her " He is in the kitchen."  We have never taught her the names of the rooms of our home. Also Gretchen, when she talks to Dolly always refers to me as "Carl" and rarely as " He". In spite of this Dolly went charging to the kitchen to find me.


If you were to watch Dolly for a short time and did not know her you'd probably think that I am dead wrong about the things I see in her. That's because in this stage of her life she sleeps a lot and she has adapted herself to our less active lifestyle.If I had my way I'd be 20 years younger and we'd both go on long walks on country roads. I'm hoping that if I lose more weight I will be able to do this again. My little dog has adapted herself so much to us she now acts like an older dog. Fortunately there are times she will just cut loose and run for no reason.  When I see her do it I encourage her. I'll stand there and clap my hands while saying "Go Dolly, run!"

Yes I have been spoiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers