Powered By Blogger

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Dachshunds are stubborn

I must warn anybody who is considering buying or adopting a Dachshund that this is a very stubborn breed of dog that can drive a new owner who is not familiar with them crazy. A person who has a good sense of humor and is very patient will have less trouble than a person who is a perfectionist and expects results immediately.

Their stubborn personality affects all aspects of their behavior. If you have small kids who are rough with animals a Dachshund will not react well to them and will never forget any abuse that is done to them. My own loves little kids but she will stay away from the ones who are rough with her and I truly believe that she will bite them if she thinks that they will be rough with her again.

I had better clear one thing up here. My Dachshund is not really mine and it relates to her stubborn personality.  She actually belongs to our next door neighbor. She hated me when she first met me and my initial attempts at befriending her which actually took over a month, was only to get her to stop barking at me. Last fall things changed at their home and all at once the dog I call my Dachshund got it in her head that I was going to be her new owner.  I tried to stop this but one cold evening she was scratching at our front door and whining. I had never heard her whine before that and it really got next to me.  So I let her in the house. She immediately came in jumped up on the bed and went to sleep.

We overslept that next morning. When my wife got up she found that the dog had to go potty during the night. Rather than disturb us she saw where we had the plastic trash bags stored, grabbed one with her teeth, pulled it out, and then did her business on the trash bag.

I am the type of person who can forgive a dog for being stubborn especially if they do it in an intelligent way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers