Powered By Blogger

Saturday, December 24, 2011

An Apology

 I apologize for my last post if I offended anyone who may have accidentally read it.  I get a bit emotional on the subject of dachshunds falling into the hands of the wrong owners.  What I said that may have offended some people was that I have taken dogs to the humane society.  There will be folks who say I had other options and should have used them. In my defense I will say that I exhausted all my options. I tried giving them away. I tried sending them to no kill shelters. The last thing I wanted was to take them to the Humane Society.

 I have only sent four dogs to the society. They had problems that would have eventually led to some bad consequences for me and them. People in my little town will shoot problem dogs. There was one lab who turned over trash cans. A neighbor who I owe many favors to told me that the next time he saw him doing it he was going to kill him. I asked him to hold off on that and give me some time to work with the dog. This was not even my dog, he belonged to a neighbor who worked all day.

 Sure enough I caught him turning over my neighbors trash can.  He was a stubborn dog. I grabbed him by the loose skin on his neck. I made sure he was looking at me then I shook my finger at him and said "NO GOMER NO."  I did not think that would work but it did. He lived for over ten years after that. My neighbor could not believe I had broken him of turning over trash cans. In defense of Gomer I'll just say that probably no one had ever corrected him. Gomer would later save me from a mauling by a pit bull.  Gomer was not stupid, just exceptionally stubborn.

  I hope to never take another dog to the humane society.  I did have something good happen with the last dog I took there. About two weeks after I dropped him off I saw him again just by accident. He was with a family who had kids and he looked happy. I knew it was him from some of the unusual markings on his coat.  I was pretty sure he'd be adopted when I took him. Besides that I'd left a decent donation when I dropped him off. I do that every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers