Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 23, 2011

Dachshund Care

 I saw an article on Dachshund Care in a website called Wiki-How. I get concerned when I see an article like that because it was misleading. The person who wrote it said that Dachshunds are sweet,kind,gentle,and loving dogs who cause no problems at all. Whoever wrote that article is too much in love with their own dog to be objective. I fully agree that Dachshunds are sweet, kind, gentle, and loving but if I'd written that article I'd have added "As long as you don't wake up the German in them." I am of mostly German heritage and I'm familiar with it. I call it the attitude of "Ve shall DEFEND the fatherland and drive our enemies into the SEA!"

 I love the Dachshund breed. Dachshunds are not for everybody. Articles like that can cause the wrong people to go out and buy one. They wind up with a dog that they don't know how to handle. What do they do then? They bring them to little towns like mine and dump them off sometimes in the dead of winter. If they don't dump them off here they dump them off at the Humane Society where if they don't get adopted they get put to sleep.  There are no-kill shelters in my area but on the few occasions I tried to send a dog there I was very rudely told no. They were full. I'd like to think that the dogs I gave to the society were adopted but I doubt it and it takes a toll on me to drop one off even when the dog was causing a big problem. Before I go any further here I need to explain that the dogs I dropped off there had been dumped here in my town. Stray dogs that cause problems get shot. There are also people who take them and sell them to medical facilities for research. My dropping them at the society at least gives them a fighting chance.  This should never have to happen with any breed of dog.

 Please do not leave flaming comments at me for this. I only do it when I am forced to and I don't like it then. Save your anger for the people who actually do dump their dogs on the roadside.  I'd really love to catch somebody doing it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers