Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 11, 2013

Another sleepless Night

 There are nights when I get no sleep whatsoever. This is due to the medication I take. it;s something that you get used to but can become tiresome. There are times when it affects your judgement. This morning was one of those times.

 Dolly and i had hardly gotten out the backdoor when we were confronted by the sound of a dog in pain along with the sound of an aggressive dog attacking. This was coming from one of our neighbors backyard where they keep a dog tied up. It sounded to me as if the tied dog was being attacked by roaming dog.

 Dolly got angry. Something had upset the balance of things here in Mokane and she decided to go stick her nose in the affair. I got scared when she refused to obey me. I did not want her in that fight. I followed her for a distance and I was eventually able to call her to me. We were close to the fight but it was blocked from my view by bushes. From what I saw one dog was trying to give up and submit, The other wanted to press the attack.

 When you live in a tiny rural town with no law enforcement there are situations that happen that you have to take care of yourself.  There is no county dog catcher and the nearest law enforcement is 15 miles away.  My county is the third largest in the state. Sometimes it takes the law a long time to get here and they don't like dealing with dog issues.

 My neighbors were not home to defend their dog. They were at work. i got angry and wanted to help the dog being attacked so I took Dolly home and started grabbing some things taht might be useful. The first thing I grabbed was a cannister of Udap Bear Spray which is a fogging pepper mace used on Grizzly bears up North to run them away without killing them. I decided to bring a pistol as a backup. The only ammo I could find quickly was 9 mm so I took my Ruger 9 mm semi auto. I was not happy with my choice. I have more faith in the Udap Bear Spray than the 9 mm.

 I don't like firing a gun in town. too many things can go wrong.  You can get in legal trouble and I take gun safety very seriously. You are far better off not firing it and only using it as a last ditch defense. I figured that if a dog would press an attack on a dog who was trying to give up might just attack a human too. My goal was to prevent my neighbors dog from being killed.

When I got outside there was silence. I got on the John Deere and  drove over there fully expecting to find a dead dog.  My Ruger was in a shoulder holster so that my hands would be free to use the Bear Spray.  Dolly was riding with me in the seat. That was poor judgement on my part.

When we arrived at the area of the fight I stopped, shook my head, and said out loud; "Carl you D__n Fool" In my tiredness what I thought was a bad dog fight was actually a lovers quarrel. Dolly expressed her displeasure of the situation by going " BRRAFFF!" at them in her loudest bark.  This terrified the two so much that even the tied up dog tried to run away. Just one of those two dogs would have made five of dolly. 

myself i was hppy that there was not an aggressive stray dog running loose in town.

goodnight folks I relly got to get some sleep.

1 comment:

  1. You did the right thing overall, even if it did prove unnecessary. As for Dolly, yes you have left her home, but I imagine it was as much your concern for your neighbors dog as the medication that caused the lapse. Your neighbors have a good neighbor.

    ReplyDelete

Followers