Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Little Miss Manners forgets Her Manners

 I love taking Dolly with me on trips in to town. She is normally no trouble and I like taking her into dog friendly businesses.  I have even sneaked her in to places where dogs are banned and she has yet to betray me by barking.

 One such dog friendly place is a business called Tobacco Cheaper in Fulton MO. They have dog treats that Dolly loves. Normally she turns her nose up at dog treats. She will only take them from a stranger shes decided she likes. She won't eat them in front of that person. She will take it out of sight of human eyes and bury it. She might dig it up later and eat it then after it has marinated in the ground for at least two weeks.

 I stopped in that store yesterday. The fellow behind the counter gave her a new type of treat. She turned her nose up at it. It was an Old Roy Barkin Bacon treat. he had giver her one big piece. She will not eat big pieces of food. She likes small bits or you have to break it up for her. I took the treat and broke it up. After I fed her the first bite she almost completely forgot her manners.

 Her habit is to wait patiently for food. Yesterday i thought she was going to take the whole piece from my hands. When you hand feed her she is very careful to not bite your hand. In fact when she takes the food your hand feels as if it was given a gentle kiss. When I fed her the Old Roy treats she  almost bit my hand several times.

 When we left I asked the fellow for a couple more treats which he did give me. I said to Dolly "Lets go". She charged out the door, slid to a halt, then ran back in. She went directly to the guy at the counter and put her front paws on him. Our manners had returned. I told the man"That's her way of saying Thank You!" he was impressed.

 Another one of her habits is to not bother food that you have in the cab of the truck even if that food is for her. I can go off and come back later to find that the food has not been touched. I hid one of the Old roy treats in the console. I stepped out of the truck for a minute and when I looked back in she had the whole big piece of treat in her mouth happily chewing away at it.

 I was going to buy her a bag of these treats. Last night when I posted this story on Facebook someone reminded me that it is not a good idea to buy anything with the name of Old Roy. Dolly had gotten so excited over this treat that I had forgotten that. I had also forgotten that dogs really love food that is bad for them. I have read stories about where some brands of dog food actually come from. I grew up on a farm and it takes a lot to surprise me. I knew dog food came from rendering plants that pick up waste meat. What I did not know was that they also pick up dogs and cats from kill shelters and vets offices. The medication used to put them to sleep does not always break down in the rendering process. They also don't bother to remove flea collars from the dead pet before rendering.

 I think Old Roy Products still come from rendering plants. I'd rather pay a few dollars more for dog food that does not use this process.


1 comment:

  1. Fulton MO? I went to school in Fulton and loved that town. The rendering- oh my! I never heard anything about dogs/cats/flea collars. How can they do that here? Terrible. Maybe your feed shop or butcher has made some dog treats, ours does.

    ReplyDelete

Followers