Powered By Blogger

Monday, December 27, 2010

A broken hip

We took Dolly with us to move my son back from Kansas City. Terrible mistake. She'd been safer here by herself at home. In the process of moving some heavy doors fell on Dolly breaking her hip.

So here we were 3 hours from home and no clue as to who to take her to for emergency care.  We found one in a phone book programmed the address in the Goddamned GPS and it sent us to a group of residential homes. Tried searching for a vets office on it and the only ones who showed up on it were 275 miles away.

So here I am cluelessly driving around in rush hour traffic with a hurting dog desperately looking for any kind of help. By accident I spotted Sue's Pet Spa in Overland Park KS. I flew in there and asked who they reccomended for a vet. They sent me to Foster's Animal Hospital on Metcalf Ave.

I'd shut my emotions off up until we got to the vets office. I'm good at that at least. In an emergency at work I trained myself to do that. I started bawling like a baby when i got her to safety. Foster's is a darn good place. They took her right in X-rayed her and showed me the broken hip. it's not badly broken but bad enough. They gave us some pain pills and told me to get her to an Oerthapeadic vet tommorrow. It turns out her Daughter is a student at MU's vet school.

When we attempted to leave KC poor Dolly bit gretchen several times when she attempted to put her in the truck. She was laying there in the seat and would not let anybody touch her but she still had to be moved. I walked up to her and slid my hand under her hips. She started to bite me but then when she saw it was me she stopped. It was like " I know he's not going to hurt me bad."

It was not a good trip home. Went by fast though thank God.

I did OK until I got home. When she saw she was home she tried moving and could not. She tried to scratch and cried out in pain. She wanted to go outside and bark but hurt too bad. It's killing my soul to see her hurt. I had a good long cry.

She won't take water. she has blood in her urine.  In my mind I see her when she was healthy giving me those long loving looks and it kills me because we were the ones who hurt her. We were all careless and focused on getting my son out of there before the deadline and while we had help there to get it done. I can't stand this, I can't stand to see her hurt. I wish it was me instead. How can you tell an actyive dog that she has to lie still for six weeks. She will never understand. 

2 comments:

  1. I feel a bit better now getting this all out. I have to buck up and be there for our dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To add to this mess I was towing a cantankerous U-Haul trailer. A 6X12 covered. I did unhitch it before running to the vet. Getting it hitched back was a bitch. Dark, no flashlight, and the hitch would not open up to accept the ball properly. I was at the point of saying the hell with it and leaving it in KC thieves be damned. My friend managed to get it to work right and then got the electrical plugs in that i could not. Fortunately there were tons of Missouri State Highway Patrolmen on I-70 and people were not acting stupid.

    ReplyDelete

Followers